Entertaining things subjected to wry and rigorous scrutiny this week include:-
- The most bizarre and tenuous rock autobiographies – eg the tell-all revelations of Elvis Presley’s nurse, Primal Scream’s tambourine player, Sinatra’s valet and the girl who made John Lennon a cheese sandwich.
- How Roger Daltrey wound up living in a van.
- Aimee Mann v Steely Dan and the curious world of support acts.
- Would you rather see a “legend” or the next big thing?
- The noble tradition of song stealing in reggae.
- “Your bus leaves in ten minutes, be under it!” and other inspired ways of dealing with hecklers.
- If you mailed a letter to ‘Andy Partridge, Swindon’ or ‘Rod Stewart, Essex’, would they get it?
- And Dolly Parton’s dignified escape from the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.
Plus there’s a ceremonial reading of Bono’s piss-poor poem about Ukraine.
Subscribe to Word In Your Ear on Patreon and receive every future Word Podcast before the rest of the world – and with full visuals!: https://www.patreon.com/wordinyourear